Worminghall was described
in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as
in the hundred of ashendon and deanery of
Waddesdon, lies on the borders of Oxfordshire,
about five miles north-west of Thame. It
had formerly a market on Thursdays, granted
in 1304, together with a fair on the festival
of St. Peter and St. Paul, to John de Rivers,
who it is probable was at that time lord
of the manor: at a later period it was in
the Ingletons, from whom it passed by a
female heir to the Tyrells. In 1720 the
manor of Wormenhall was bought by Edward
Rudge esq. of the Tipping family, who had
succeeded the Tyrrells in the year 1560:
it is now the property of Edward Horne esq.
of the Leasowes, having been purchased of
the Rudges by his father, Samuel Horne esq.
about the year 1772.
Clement Cottrell Dormer has for several
years given a deputation for the free warren
the parish church are some memorials of
the family of King; John King, Bishop of
London, and Henry King, Bishop of Chichester,
a learned writer and a poet, were both of
this family, and natives of Wormenhall.
John King esq. son of the bishop of Chichester,
founded an alms-house at this place in 1675,
for four poor women and six poor single
men, who receive eight shillings and four-pence
each monthly, from the donation of the founder.
a hamlet of this parish, is in Oxfordshire.